[pd-discuss] PD Day in Torino (22.01.2011)

J.C. DE MARTIN demartin at polito.it
Sat Oct 23 17:07:34 UTC 2010

Dear All,

Regarding the PD Day (meant loosely: 1 January, in fact, it is a rather
awful day to organize a public event...), we are quite advanced in
organizing
a rather ambitious PD Day Celebration that will take place in Torino
on Saturday, 22 January 2011, in the morning.

We will make an introduction on the PD, why it is important
(economically, socially, culturally) and why it is good to celebrate it.

Than we will move on to discuss two key authors:

*Vito Volterra*, great mathematician, first president of the Italian
National Research Council, de facto founder of the Politecnico
di Torino (my institution), one of the few university professors
who refused to swear allegiance to the Fascist regime (he was
fired and had to leave Italy).

An historian will give a lectio on Volterra and an actor
will read some of his works (letters, speeches in the Italian Senate, or
something else).

Then we will move on to *Francis Scott Fitzgerald*: we will discuss
his works with a leading intellectual and an actor, again, will read
something by him.

We plan to use www.publicdomainday.org to publicize the celebration
(and to document it, afterwards).

Best,