[pd-discuss] Public Domain Day 2011 / Which works enter the PD in 2011?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Oct 27 19:19:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Severine Dusollier <
severine.dusollier at fundp.ac.be> wrote:

> Just a practical question. The database on OKFN mainly comprises literary
> works, doesn't it ? If so, how can we have data on musical, graphical or
> cinematographical works that will fall into PD in 2011 ?
> Severine

Great question Severine! ;-)

I think the answer is that we must continue to gather meta data from as many
different sources as we can (libraries, archives, museums, galleries, and so
on). This is partly why the OKF is interested in open data about works!

The following OKF working groups are looking (and starting to look) at
issues in these areas:

  http://wiki.okfn.org/wg/bibliography
  http://wiki.okfn.org/wg/heritage

We're also collecting datasets about works:

  http://ckan.net/package/linkedmdb
  http://ckan.net/package/omdb
  http://ckan.net/package/imdbp
  http://ckan.net/package/musicbrainz

Finally this is partly why we very very much hope that Europeana will decide
to put the metadata of contributing organisations under an open license!

Hope that helps. ;-)

All the best,

Jonathan