[pd-discuss] Contact between Wikimedia Foundation and Wellcome Trust regarding image collections?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Jan 12 18:07:06 UTC 2011

Hi Mathias,

We were interested in featuring several images of public domain works
from the Wellcome Trust Image Collection [1] on the Public Domain
Review [2], but we notice that their terms of use for the images in
the collection is quite restrictive (personal, non-commercial use
only) [3].

I wonder whether anyone from Wikimedia has been in touch with them
about licensing any of the images under CC-BY-SA or similar for use on
Wikipedia and elsewhere? It seems that they have some unique images
that could be valuable to illustrating Wikipedia articles.

Do you know anyone from the UK who might have been in touch with them?

All the best,

Jonathan

[1] http://images.wellcome.ac.uk/
[2] http://publicdomainreview.okfn.org/