[pd-discuss] BL and google digitise books

Alberto Cerda alberto at derechosdigitales.org
Tue Jun 21 12:51:49 UTC 2011

A comment and a question.
Comment: In Chile, there is a provision that punishes with criminal
sanctions those who claim exclusive rights on public domain works. It was
introduced just last year to prevent such a copy-fraud. Previously, you
could sue who claim exclusive rights in order to force him to sue you; if he
did not sue you in a given term (usually 15 days to one month), he could not
argue exclusive rights in the future. This is call a action of jactitation
(acción de jactancia). It seems that that action is also available in common
law system <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jactitation>.
Question: Is there any similar mechanim to enforce public domain in a case
like the British Library or analogous cases?
A.