[pd-discuss] Hathitrust locks public domain books; amasses scans from others, and gives full access only to partners members

dingodog at fastmail.fm dingodog at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 21 14:04:02 UTC 2011

your point of view (satisfied) is an hathitrust  member's point of view,
while a point of view of non-member can be only negative towards
hathitrust. Do you would have the same point of view if non-member?
obviously not.

it is very questionable the logic that if you are not affiliate to a
member partnered with hathitrust you cannot fully access to PUBLIC
DOMAIN BOOKS SCANNED BY OTHERS!

I would have a better opinion of hathitrust without their option for
sell hard copies of digitized books

the facts are these:

anyone can FULLY access to books digitized by UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN, in
public domain

but these books are only an infinitesimal part of books in hathitrust

the greatest quota is constituted by books scanned by google (that
strangely you cannot download if you are not member of partnered
institution)

why this limitation? We can do some hypothesis:

limiting number of people having full access gives two advantages to
hathitrust

- taking control of access
- reducing RISK that someone provided of civic conscience starts to
*liberate* ALL public domain books from hathitrust jail, and if this
happens, identify more easily, while no lawsuit it is possible, I think,
since googlebooks terms say that googlebooks scans are freely
re-hostable maintaining the googlebooks watermark

but this easily becomes then a way to make money with books scanned by
other and this is very questionable and not ethical

googlebooks does not care about investigation on public domain status of
scanned books; many scans in full view in hathitrust are in snippet view
in googlebooks, due to this lacking of investigation, so, you cannot
affirm that if a books is not accessible in hathitrust you can download
from googlebooks, many times this is not true

Hathitrust has this dark side that is not often revealed to public

  dingodog at fastmail.fm