[pd-discuss] Hathitrust locks public domain books; amasses scans from others, and gives full access only to partners members

Michael S. Hart hart at pglaf.org
Tue Jun 21 19:55:20 UTC 2011

Rufus Pollock, you should be ashamed of yourself in such company,
to be guilty of addressing the FORM of someone's comments, BEFORE
addressing the CONTENT.

It degrades the entire process of communication, and yourself, to
the point where if you insist on doing this you would become like
"the little boy who cried WOLF!" and no one will even read emails
with your name at the top.

I would LIKE to think just mentioning this once to you sufficient
that no would will have to shout YOU down for trying to shoutdown
someone else while pretending you are NOT shouting.

I'm sure you are most likely too young to remember those earliest
Internet days when ALL communications were in CAPS, because lower
case wasn't possible in 6 bit ASCII.

However, those who came upon the scene at later dates have little
or no right to tell those who were already there for years how to
do what was already being done quite well without their help.

If you really think you should pursue this further, I suggest the
time spent reading up on the fiasco failures of "Netiquette," and
those sophists who tried to foist it upon the rest of us, before,
well before, contining on this ill advised course of reaction.

I've been doing email for 40 years now, since well before it came
to be CALLED email, or the ARPANet was called the Internet, and I
take every opportunity to save the Internet from those like you.

Hopefully enough has been said here, on both sides, that nothing,
at least here, need be again on this subject.

Meanwhile, perhaps you [plural] would enjoy downloading from some
6 to 7 million potential free downloads starting July 4!!!

Details below.

Michael S. Hart
Founder
Project Gutenberg,