[pd-discuss] BL and google digitise books

Paul Keller pk at kl.nl
Thu Jun 23 12:02:14 UTC 2011

On 22 Jun 2011, at 18:53, Javier Ruiz wrote:

> Hi Paul
>
> we have been told by BL that the agreement follows 90% the University of Michigan agreement. This sets restrictions on what the UoM can do with the copies they are provided with by Google (section 4)
>
> http://www.lib.umich.edu/mdp/um-google-cooperative-agreement.pdf
> http://www.lib.umich.edu/files/services/mdp/Amendment-to-Cooperative-Agreement.pdf
>
> Our main concern is that the agreement seems to imply that these restrictions are perpetual. Meaning that the British Library would have to always place restrictions on digital copies of public domain works. This may not be unlawful but it is wrong.

if you frame it as an objection against the perpetual character of these restrictions then i think this is something that should be addressed (because it is clearly insane that these restrictions last longer than the time limited rights of the original authors). But i guess that would require getting a better understanding of the agreement (if they really imply perpetual restrictions). Isnt that information obtainable via a FOI request (plus i always thought that google was asking for 15 or 25 years in these kind of contracts, which is still way too long)

> The costs of digitisation are a very real problem, and the involvement of the private sector cannot be opposed in a maximalist way, even if you push for public funding. However, the end result must be that after cost recovery and profits, etc. the digital copies are not restricted. The EU recommends 7 years for PPP, but we would argue this should be a max cap and each case should have specific cost recovery negotiations.
>
> I think we should have public funding, PPP and participatory/crowdsourcing all combined.
>
> We are currently discussing an adapted version of the Communia recommendations as a UK Policy pack, but adding more on PPP and volunteers.
>
> However, without taking on specific situations for campaigns, our experience is that abstract policy debates do not generate pressure on politicians and institutions to change.
>
> We want to start pushing these issues but we need a broader network to help define the priorities.

maybe this is something where communia can get involved. i could imagine compiling a yearly list of questionable practices across europe or somthing similar...
best, paul