[pd-discuss] PD help

Aaron Dunn aaron at musopen.org
Tue Mar 8 19:55:40 UTC 2011

Musopen.org is about to launch a recording project to record and release a
substantial set of music into the public domain. One of the pieces we are
interested in is Lark Ascending by Vaughan Williams. I was wondering if
anyone can help us definitively answer whether this piece is in the public
domain or not.

It seems it was composed in 1914, and published in 1925, so I would think
that at that time copyrights were for the life of the piece not the
composer, which should now have passed, yet Oxford publishing is claiming a
copyright on the work. Anyone know why it would still be copywritten?

Sincerely,
Aaron