[pd-discuss] PD help

Elizabeth Townsend-Gard townsend at tulane.edu
Tue Mar 8 20:20:37 UTC 2011

If you send us the info -- or set up a time on skype - we (the
Durationator(r)) can help you.

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Aaron Dunn <aaron at musopen.org> wrote:

> Musopen.org is about to launch a recording project to record and release a
> substantial set of music into the public domain. One of the pieces we are
> interested in is Lark Ascending by Vaughan Williams. I was wondering if
> anyone can help us definitively answer whether this piece is in the public
> domain or not.
>
> It seems it was composed in 1914, and published in 1925, so I would think
> that at that time copyrights were for the life of the piece not the
> composer, which should now have passed, yet Oxford publishing is claiming a
> copyright on the work. Anyone know why it would still be copywritten?
>
> Sincerely,
> Aaron

Elizabeth Townsend Gard
Associate Professor,
Co-Director, Tulane Center for Intellectual Property Law and Culture, and
Director, The Durationator(r) Software/Usable Past Project
Tulane Law School
Weinmann Hall
6329 Freret Street
New Orleans, LA 70118-6231