[pd-discuss] Announcement: outofcopyright.eu launched

Maarten Zeinstra mz at kl.nl
Thu May 5 11:54:33 UTC 2011

Hi Javier,

There are two good public domain calculator available for the UK. The calculator backing publicdomainworks.org created by the Open Knowledge Foundation and the Public Domain Calculator on OutOfCopyright.eu. Both can help probably help you with your inquiries.

There are however a few caveats:

1. That a work is in the public domain does not mean that they need to be made available to the public. They ought to be, but there is no regulation to do so.
2. The definition of Open Access varies among parties, especially between large institutions and its visitors.

That aside, we are more than willing to make a calculator like outofcopyright.eu for your specific purpose. If you download one of the Graphml[1] files from our site and edit it with yEd[2] for your purpose. Use only the same type of objects that are already in there. If you sent me the edited file we can offer you a specific new calculator for your site like the button based calculator on outofcopyright.eu [3]

Cheers,

Maarten

Kennisland | Knowledgeland

t +31205756720 | m +31643053919 | s mzeinstra
www.kennisland.nl | www.knowledgeland.org

[1] http://outofcopyright.eu/media.html
[2] http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yed_about.html
[3] http://outofcopyright.eu/calculator.html