[pd-discuss] public domain status for Giovanni Federzoni (29/08/1849 - 14/06/1923)

Peter B. Hirtle pbh6 at cornell.edu
Mon May 30 14:35:41 UTC 2011

In the United States, the answer is "it depends."

Works published by Federzoni prior to 1923 should be in the public domain.  I cannot find any evidence that any have been subsequently registered with the Copyright Office.

There were several works that I can find in catalogs that were published posthumously (after 1923).  I am assuming that these were still protected by copyright in Italy on 1 Jan. 1998, and so are protected in the U.S.  For example, "Raccoglimenti e Ricordi" was published in Bologna in 1935.  It will be protected in the U.S. until 1 Jan. 2031.  In theory, if one put it on a server in a country in which it is in the public domain but allowed access to it in the U.S., Federzoni's copyright heirs could sue in the U.S. for copyright infringement (much as French publishers are suing Google in France for scanning and delivery that is taking place in the U.S.).  Damages could be as high as $150,000 USD, plus the payment of attorney's fees.

A different set of rules would apply to any of Federzoni's unpublished writings that were first published prior to 1 January 2003.  These, too, may still be protected by copyright.

Bottom line: when dealing with public domain in the U.S., death dates are only a small part of the story.  There are some documents that were written in the 1770s that are still protected by copyright in the U.S.!  To suggest that works written by people who died before a certain date are in the public domain is to do a disservice.

Peter B. Hirtle
Senior Policy Advisor
Digital Scholarship Services
Cornell University Library