[pd-discuss] A translation fund for public domain texts

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Mon Oct 31 15:55:54 UTC 2011

A few thoughts:

  * It would be good to have a fund dedicated to translation
bursaries/stipends or prizes. These could be relatively small (e.g.
€100-200 or so) to incentivise people to translate shorter works.
  * There could be a board of advisors - from German literature
departments and so on. It would be good to have WM DE actively
involved.

In particular we'd really like to publish more of Walter Benjamin's
works. We just published an article on this today:

http://publicdomainreview.org/2011/10/31/on-benjamin%e2%80%99s-public-oeuvre/

Also I'd been very keen to see several short classic literary and
philosophical works translated from German into English. E.g. Herder's
volume on Sturm and Drang - with Goethe's essay on Köln cathedral.

Also I'd love to see new illustrations / accompanying material - so we
could make beautiful new openly licensed editions! ;-)

Perhaps we should put together a 1-page overview of how this could work?

J.