[pd-discuss] Entering the Public Domain in 2013

Adrian Pohl adrian.pohl at okfn.org
Wed Dec 12 12:50:24 UTC 2012

Finally, I had some time to work on querying structured data on the
web in order to get a list of public domain authors. After Tom Morris
had pointed me to Freebase, I used this - and it was much easier than
querying DBpedia. See the resulting spreadsheet at [1]. For more
information see my blog post at [2].

Hope this is useful for you.

All the best
Adrian

[1] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoZvWOCjkB-odDcwSEJmSjM1TGtRd2Q5eTllLUxPU1E

[2] http://www.uebertext.org/2012/12/querying-freebase-to-find-public-domain.html

On 8 November 2012 15:44, Dalit KD <dalitkd at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> start I think.
>
> As for the differences between the Copyright duration - I suggest to add a
> disclaimer like the one that was written by Communia (with the support of
> OKF and others) at their Public Domain Day site
> http://www.publicdomainday.org/disclaimer.
>
> The US Copyright duration is complicated (I really don't know it very well
> myself, I'm not an expert...).
> You can see a table that I found  that explains about it:
> http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm - maybe it can help
>
> Best,
>
> Dalit Ken-Dror
>
> Legal Supervisor of the Law & Technology Clinic
> Haifa Center for Law & Technology
> Faculty of Law, University of Haifa
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Adam Green <adam.green at okfn.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Editor of The Public Domain Review here - many thanks for your ideas and
>> suggestions!
>>
>> Adrian and Philip: these are great starting points, we'll be sure to check
>> them out.
>>
>> Peter: a very worthy concern! We'll be sure to double check the death
>> dates as best we can.
>>
>> I was imagining the list to focus on those authors/artists whose works
>> enter the "public domain" by virtue of them having died in 1942 (in the case
>> of artists/writers) and as such will be Eurozone focused (and others with
>> the 70 + years rule).
>>
>> Would be good to hear any suggestions regarding articles/documentation
>> relating to the copyright extension situation in the US (and others
>> countries) which we can also perhaps point to along with this list - to
>> increase awareness of issues in the field, etc.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Adam.
>>

>> On 31 October 2012 18:19, Peter B. Hirtle <pbh6 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would be hesitant to rely on an uncredited web site with unsourced
>>> information as a source for public domain information - especially when the
>>> consequences in the US of making a mistake can be so dire.
>>>
>>> Name authority work, including the establishment of author death dates,
>>> is one of the most difficult and expensive tasks undertaken by librarians.
>>> It requires careful research given the similarity of names.  It also
>>> requires careful citation of the source of data - and even then mistakes are
>>> common.  The difficulty is one of the reasons why some cataloging codes
>>> dropped the requirement to include death dates in cataloging records unless
>>> absolutely required to differentiate names.
>>>
>>> Karen Coyle has a nice post on some of the problems associated with doing
>>> name authority work at
>>> http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2007/09/name-authority-control-aka-name.html.
>>> Her examples focus on birth dates, but the same would hold true for death
>>> dates.
>>>

>>> Peter B. Hirtle, FSAA
>>> Senior Policy Advisor
>>> Digital Scholarship & Preservation Services
>>> t.  607.255-4033
>>> f.  607.255-9524