[pd-discuss] googlebooks: the strange case of public domain books left in snippet view (for years and ignoring users complaints)

Maarten Zeinstra mz at kl.nl
Wed Jun 27 08:03:11 UTC 2012

Hi,

You are absolutely right stating that these books should be made freely available for all. However, this is not mandatory.

We wouldn't demand the van Gogh museum to give us free access to all van Gogh's works, even those in the archives, just because their public domain. The public domain, as I see it, deals mainly with intellectual property, i.e. ownership of the underlying work or idea, not about productions (books or paintings) of that idea.

Although I completely agree that it would be good for Google Books to open up their collection more to their users, I do not agree that they must do it.

Instead of asking Google to open up their collection, create your own public domain books repository:

Make a DIY Bookscanner, a realing maturing field of open hardware http://www.diybookscanner.org/
Obtain a copy of the work
Scan the book
Publish on Project Gutenberg

You would of course argue that the book that you need is not available in your region, but they same probably holds for a lot of books that are available in your region that other people would like to read. We should help each other here.

Cheers,

Maarten

Kennisland | Knowledgeland

t +31205756720 | m +31643053919 | s mzeinstra
www.kennisland.nl | www.knowledgeland.org