[pd-discuss] Music in the Public Domain

Sam Leon sam.leon at okfn.org
Mon May 7 17:07:17 UTC 2012

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still trying to get my head round all of
this.

@Maarten -- do you mean to say that one is not free to redistribute a
recording if the authorial copyright has not expired? This would render any
song written by Sister Rosetta Tharpe not in the public domain.

However, the song that I linked to ("Down By The River Side") and many
others recorded by Rosetta Tharpe are traditional gospel songs, so this
shouldn't matter too much even if it turns out to be true.

Sam

Sam Leon
Community Coordinator
Open Knowledge Foundation