[pd-discuss] What We Hope the Digital Public Library of America Will Become

John Mark Ockerbloom ockerblo at pobox.upenn.edu
Tue Apr 23 13:13:58 UTC 2013

Copyright duration in the US is a mix of easy and hard rules.  There's
an easy rule of publication before 1923, and harder rules involving publication
after that point (and in some circuits, some foreign works published
before 1923 are also potentially copyrighted, per Peter Hirtle's chart at
http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm ).  And then
there's the mess with sound recordings, which I believe was discussed
here recently.

With about 1.5 million public domain items, HathiTrust has a large number
of the books that are eligible for DPLA inclusion.  (I also import their
records into The Online Books Page.)  And they've probably done the most
thorough copyright research of any large project (since they have a
team that'd researched these issues on tens of thousands of titles).
If one were planning to filter or search by US copyright status, Hathitrust's
rights information would be a good place to start.

John Mark Ockerbloom