[pd-discuss] [OpenGLAM] Launch of the Public Domain Calculator in France

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Feb 18 11:39:31 UTC 2014

Prior to this work from Europeana (which - as you can imagine - we were
very pleased to see!), the Open Knowledge Foundation had been working on
calculators for the UK as part of its Public Domain Works project, and
coordinating with Aaron Swartz who was keen to do one for the US and other
countries for the OpenLibrary.

We then decided that it would be good to do this for countries around the
world - and had several meetings about this under the auspices of the
Communia network. Europeana - in particularly the University of Amsterdam
and Kennisland - then put together this excellent set of flowcharts for
many EU countries.

The original idea was to turn the flowcharts into code and combine them
with metadata about works to enable automatic estimations of copyright
duration around the world. More information about our work in this area and
the idea for the public domain calculators is available here:

http://publicdomain.okfn.org/calculators/

J.

On 18 February 2014 12:18, Mathias Schindler <mathias.schindler at wikimedia.de

Jonathan Gray