[pd-discuss] Copyright on unpublished or recently-published works from long-dead authors

Peter B. Hirtle pbh6 at cornell.edu
Wed Dec 16 15:27:52 UTC 2015

After I sent my response about US publication, I remembered that I had asked an English colleague about what constituted "publication" in the UK.  Specifically, I wanted to know if the UK had the same requirement for authorization as the US.  The reply is exactly on target to this discussion:

"On publication, UK law is the same as US law. For the purposes of copyright, a work is published when copies are issued to the public or when it is made available to the public by means of an electronic retrieval system (which I have always understood to mean a computer).

There is a 'however':

- in determining publication, no account shall be taken of an unauthorised act (CDPA s175(6), and for the definition of 'unauthorised' see s178).

Thus the issue to the public of an unpublished manuscript dating from the 17th century will not have the effect of making it a published work for copyright purposes unless someone has gone to the trouble of tracing the rights owners and securing their consent."

It sounds as if that 1939 publication may not have been a publication and the 17th century poem would be protected until 2039.  As Andrew Gray notes, you would have to decide if you wanted to ignore this copyright or seek an orphan works license.

Peter Hirtle