[pd-discuss] Copyright on unpublished or recently-published works from long-dead authors

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 16 16:34:45 UTC 2015

Since someone had asked about UK regulations, you might be
interested in a clarification in this recent copyright notice
from the UK Intellectual Property Office. This isn't entirely
germane to the discussion since it is about images, but they
added a clarification "Are digitised copies of older images
protected by copyright?". In the UK it has often been argued that
this is a case and our institutions often put copyright notices
on digitised images of earlier works, or license them in one way
or another.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/481194/c-notice-201401.pdf

If the reading of the Communia Association is correct, and I'm
not saying it is, this means that works once in the public domain
(e.g. pre-copyright) remain in the public domain even if they are
then digitized.

http://www.communia-association.org/2015/12/04/1761/

If that indeed is accurate then there are a lot of images of
previous images (and other works) which have copyright licenses
on them (including CC licences) which really should be considered
public domain.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk Academic IT