[pd-discuss] Copyright on unpublished or recently-published works from long-dead authors

Adam Green adam.green at publicdomainreview.org
Thu Jan 21 15:44:58 UTC 2016

A very belated thank you to all who've shared your knowledge/thoughts on
this. It certainly is a complicated one! And I share the frustration some
of you have expressed.

It seems a lot hinges on whether the UK publishers in 1939 (who first
published the manuscript) themselves obtained permission. I am trying
currently to find this out, though doubt I'll get a definitive answer.
Assuming that there is no evidence either way, where does this leave things?

If there is no evidence either way (they could have obtained permission, or
they could not have, no way of telling), which side would copyright law
come down on (if indeed, it would "come down" at all!). Is there some kind
of burden of proof at play here?

I guess another question is, does it matter? If I publish this poem, who
will file a copyright claim? The 1939 publishers (who are still existent)
would have no interest (because if they did give permission, copyright
would have expired in 1990; and if they didn't then they wouldn't have had
copyright in the first place). And I can't find any evidence of any estate
of this author. Am I right in thinking legal action would need to come from
someone who themselves claimed the copyright?

A huge thanks again to you all for your input on this!

All the best,

Adam.

--

Adam Green