[Pdr] Sister Rosetta Tharpe Collection

Jonathan Gray j.gray at cantab.net
Tue May 8 10:51:36 UTC 2012

Many gospel songs that seem to have been around forever were in fact
composed by the likes of Thomas Dorsey, Charles A. Tindley, Sallie Martin
and others. Much of my favourite stuff from the 1920-1950s, from the
quartets, on the gospel highway, etc, is composed in 20th century. There is
a bunch of stuff that is traditional - the older spirituals, etc - but even
this was often set to music and circulated on sheets in a form that may be
protected.

Copyright is way too long, and way too complicated!

J.

On Tuesday, May 8, 2012, Sam Leon <sam.leon at okfn.org> wrote:
> Really sad :(
> I suppose the question with the gospel songs is to the extent they are
considered original compositions rather than reworkings of something much
older.

http://publicdomainreview.org/2011/08/07/fats-waller-and-his-orchestra-live-at-the-yacht-club-1938/
> (for another 2 years)
> http://publicdomainreview.org/2011/08/07/orson-welles-show-1941/
>
> some of the best stuff... :-(
>
> regarding sister rosetta tharpe ,, yes as long as its the composer of
> the music died before 1941 (inclusive) then we are okay... is this
> easy to check? is this the case with all gospel songs???
>

> On 8 May 2012 11:39, Sam Leon <sam.leon at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Looks like the music situation is more complex than we first imagined
given
>> this layers of rights business.
>>
>> Having said that I think Sister Rosetta Tharpe's gospel work still is
PD...

--
Jonathan Gray
http://jonathangray.org