[Product] [okfn-labs] First Android app released

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 18:56:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Philippe Plagnol <philippe.plagnol at gmail.com
> wrote:

> This is a first version so it will evolve,... there's a subject opened on
> github,... we need to add a scanner in a future version (ex: zxing or
> scandit,...)

So, looking at the list of issues on Github (bar code scanning, history
list, etc, etc), it sounds like you're going to end up re-implementing all
of the ZXing Android app.

Why not just fork ZXing (it's Apache licensed), add your backend, and send
them a pull request with the new functionality?

If they accept the pull request, your new data source is suddenly in front
of hundreds of thousands of users.  If they don't accept the pull request,
you maintain your fork, but don't have to re-implement all the good stuff
they've done already.

Tom