[Product] Two Companies using same UPC Prefix

Nicolas Pieuchot n.pieuchot at zero-gachis.com
Mon Sep 8 09:29:21 UTC 2014

Hello Kurt,

This cases sometimes happen when there is a link between two companies. In
this case, Van Camp's is a subsidiary of Pepsico through Quaker Oats. [1]
[2]
There is no easy way to get the exact brand from a UPC. Best you can do is
to manually build a list of brands corresponding to a UPC (what we worked
on with the brand-manager of product-open-data), and then try to find the
best match according to product type, designation, photo, etc..

Have a nice week,
Nicolas

[1]
http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=3679057
[2]
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/history/retroindy/2014/01/13/van-camp/4455441/

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 3:35 AM, Kurt Bullert <kbullert at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just would like to address this issue and one other.
>
> I know that Gatorade uses the 052000 UPC prefix in the US and it is owned
> by PepsiCo. But Van Camps Beans (example on Amazon - Van Camp's Beanee
> Weenees, 7.75-Ounce Units (Pack of 24)
> <http://www.amazon.com/Van-Camps-Beanee-Weenees-7-75-Ounce/dp/B001BDDHHS> )
> also uses the 052000 UPC prefix in the US and it is owned by ConAgra Foods.
>

> [image: image]
> <http://www.amazon.com/Van-Camps-Beanee-Weenees-7-75-Ounce/dp/B001BDDHHS>
>

> Van Camp's Beanee Weenees, 7.75-Ounce Units (Pack of 24)
> <http://www.amazon.com/Van-Camps-Beanee-Weenees-7-75-Ounce/dp/B001BDDHHS>
> Amazon.com : Van Camp's Beanee Weenees, 7.75-Ounce Units (Pack of 24) :
> Canned And Packaged Meats : Grocery & Gourmet Food
> View on www.amazon.com
> <http://www.amazon.com/Van-Camps-Beanee-Weenees-7-75-Ounce/dp/B001BDDHHS>
> Preview by Yahoo
>

> My other issue is anybody allowed to edit entries and where can this be
> done. I saw a few mistakes with one example being for Gold Medal Bakery
> Bread (835841 UPC prefix in the US) being owned by General Mills (016000
> UPC prefix in US).
>
> I would to thank you for time.
>
> Kurt Bullert

[image: Zéro-Gâchis] <http://www.zero-gachis.com/>