[Prospects-community] Welcome to the Prospects Community!

Zara Rahman zara.rahman at okfn.org
Mon Jul 29 09:55:29 BST 2013

Hi all,

Aladdin, great to have you on board :-) and Ranjit - thanks for the
introduction and for outlining what you'd like to be involved in, great
to hear! Have you come across Pratham Books before? (
http://prathambooks.org/ ) - they've just started releasing some books
under Creative Commons Licenses, which is an exciting new model. At OKF
we don't have any formal links with them, but I'd encourage you to get
in touch if you like their model; anything in the 'open' movement is
great as far as we're concerned :-)

With regards to your students; for those with programming and coding
skills, I'd recommend they check out our newly launched OKFN labs
http://okfnlabs.org/ - which is where they can find and contribute to
cool new open coding projects. But if you don't have these technical
skills, that is absolutely no barrier at all to getting involved in the
Open Knowledge Foundation community; many of our most active members and
contributors aren't coders but communicators and organising; both are
essential to the open movement having an effect on the world :-)

And with others - please check out the Working Groups,
http://okfn.org/wg/ - they all have open discussion lists, and are
always really happy to have new members of the groups.

A couple of concrete projects that people could get involved in; School
of Data http://schoolofdata.org/ - either taking the courses yourselves,
or organising for someone else to carry out a workshop for another
audience, and Open Spending, where you can add your country/city's
spending data to the database, very easily. Some groups around the world
recently organised Spending Parties
<http://blog.okfn.org/2013/07/26/city-spending-party-around-the-world/>-
you can get an idea of projects that people around the world are working
on from the OKF blog :-) <http://blog.okfn.org/>

Otherwise, check out the Welcome Pack and please don't hesitate to dive
straight in, introduce yourself, and get involved!

Best,

Zara