[publicdata-eu] Antwort: Re: Countries on publicdata.eu

CDirschl at wolterskluwer.de CDirschl at wolterskluwer.de
Mon Feb 7 13:39:56 UTC 2011

Hi all,

from a potential consumer's perspective, I would strongly support the
second approach.
Don't throw things away, but make it clear where it comes from and what it
is about.
And let the user decide which datasets suit him for his purpose and which
not.
BTW: The information, what region a dataset covers (World, Europe, Germany,
...) ist an extremely useful one.

BR

Christian

             Jonathan Gray
             <jonathan.gray at ok
             fn.org>                                                    An
             Gesendet von:              William Waites
             publicdata-eu-bou          <ww-dated-1297514576.bf1916 at styx.o
             nces at lists.okfn.o          rg>, publicdata-eu at lists.okfn.org
             rg                                                      Kopie

                                                                     Thema
             07.02.2011 14:08           Re: [publicdata-eu] Countries on
                                        publicdata.eu

              Bitte antworten
                    an
             publicdata-eu at lis
                ts.okfn.org

So basically start by tipping all the apples out of the bucket, and
adding/tagging the official/verified ones for the core publicdata.eu
metadata? Or are we thinking something like a universe/multiverse
approach here - where we include international datasets, but not as
the core focus?

<friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> écrit:

> ] 1) Remove CKAN.net
> ] 2) Manually re-classify all packages on CKAN to add a country (and
language).
> ]
> ] Since CKAN is an incredibly useful resource, I'm strongly against
> ] removing it completely,
>
> I agree
>
> ] so I'm curious if we can have a CKAN schema
> ] extension party?
>
> But I also think that country might not be relevant or applicable
> to many packages not published by a government or published jointly
> by organisations in different countries (Is dbpedia German? American?
> Irish? or what... What about open street map? etc)
>
> So I would suggest that EU data from government bodies at any
> level is specifically tagged with "eudata" or similar and
> the filter on that for publicdata.eu
>
> -w
> --
> William Waites                <mailto:ww at styx.org>
> http://river.styx.org/ww/        <sip:ww at styx.org>
> F4B3 39BF E775 CF42 0BAB  3DF0 BE40 A6DF B06F FD45

Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator
The Open Knowledge Foundation
http://blog.okfn.org