[publicdata-eu] Next steps for PublicData.eu requirements

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Jan 13 13:48:13 UTC 2011

Will: I *fully agree* that we should circulate this in public as soon
as possible to gather feedback from the public. I also agree that it
would have been nice to draft a set of Use Case Scenarios and put them
online and to do this iteratively in public. The reasons I didn't do
this were:

  * I was directed to put this material on the private grips.punkt.at LOD2 wiki
  * Last year we were focusing on gathering input from the
questionnaire, which took quite a bit of time and attention to draft
and to get right
  * Last but not least I was very busy with other stuff at the end of
the year, and though I meant to draft something to put in public after
we spoke, all my attention was absorbed doing the two items above

When I say "it was decided", I mean there was a pre-existing,
apparently quite well-defined process for how this would work, I
presume arranged by those leading WP1. I have to admit I do not
*fully* understand all aspects of the requirements process. Don't
shoot the messenger. ;-)

What do others on this list think of putting the Use Case Scenarios
online for public comment as soon as they are at a stage we would
consider publishable? This would also give us an incentive to polish
them up to a state we would consider publishable quite quickly. Also
we could gather ideas for things which we might be missing or might
have overlooked, and suggestions about how we might be able to do
things better.

Pros/cons to doing this?

All the best,

Jonathan