[PDR] The Serious and the Smirk: The Smile in Portraiture

The Public Domain Review okfn.adam.green at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 18 14:05:59 UTC 2013

Inline images 1

New Article

Inline images 1

THE SERIOUS AND THE SMIRK: THE SMILE IN PORTRAITURE

*Why do we so seldom see people smiling in painted portraits? Nicholas
Jeeves explores the history of the smile through the ages of
portraiture, from Da Vinci’s /Mona Lisa/ to Alexander Gardner’s
photographs of Abraham Lincoln.*
Read More »
<http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/09/18/the-serious-and-the-smirk-the-smile-in-portraiture/>

*THE PUBLIC DOMAIN REVIEW CAPTION COMPETITION*
*
*
*Wreak you wit upon an unsuspecting piece of public domain art and win
yourself a PDR cloth tote bag!*
*
*
*Inline images 2
<http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/09/11/caption-competition-1/>
*
*
*
*Enter HERE
<http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/09/11/caption-competition-1/>*

New Collection Items

    A little wander down the catwalk of time…

**

fashion thumb

We explore some of the more unorthodox fashion statements through
history...

Read More »
<http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/09/10/a-little-wander-down-the-catwalk-of-time/>

    BLACKBOARD SKETCHING (1909)

**blackboardthumb

A book by Massachusetts based artist and teacher Frederik Whitney
(1858-1949) on the lost art of blackboard drawing.Read More »
<http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/09/17/blackboard-sketching-1909/>

*THE CORONATION OF KING LADISLAUS OF POLAND (1633)
*

**polandking-thumb

Illustration from a book celebrating the coronation of King Ladislaus of
Poland in February of 1633. A rather rotund looking Ladislaus (presuming
the figure is, in fact, the king) hovers in the clouds with the Latin
words Ingenium Naturae on a banner above his head, literally translating
as “natural talent”. Read More »
<http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/09/05/the-coronation-of-king-ladislaus-of-poland-1633/>

FACEBOOK <https://www.facebook.com/PublicDomainReview>TWITTER
<https://twitter.com/#%21/publicdomainrev>PINTEREST