[School-of-data] Announcing the Kick-Off sprint!

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri May 18 18:28:31 UTC 2012

On 18 May 2012 09:59, Makoto Inoue <inouemak at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello, everyone.

Welcome!

> My name is Makoto. I am a web developer (ruby on rails, javascript) with
> past experience as a dba (database administrator) based in London. I am
> comfortable with scraping, coding, and data mining with sql, but trying to
> brash up my math and statistics skills. I may not be able to attend on the
> IRC session for the whole day, but happy to contributing to coding and data
> mining related topics.
>
> FYI, I am currently organising an olympic themed hackathon called
> (http://mmxiihack.org/). One thing I struggle the most is to get enough

Sounds good.

> interesting api/dataset for people to mashup due to very proprietary nature
> of the event.

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmVThz2NA0WRdHdRLUtDSnNGZlg1bDllNFJabUx4VHc#gid=0

I'd suggest creating a group on the DataHub for this e.g.
http://datahub.io/group/olympics-2012

> Please let me know  If you know any "open" Olympic related data.

I started pulling together some spending data re the olympics a while
back and just did an initial post of info here:

<http://datahub.io/dataset/olympics-delivery-authority-spending>

I hope to get the consolidated data up on the DataHub in the next week or so ...

> I am learning the importance of open data with pain ;-(

:-)

Rufus

> Thanks.
>
> Makoto
>

> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM, João Pedro Cruz <cruz.joaopedro at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> @Laura, as Rosamaria mentioned, we are already involved in the EconWG.
>> This is the group that I am more actively engaged but I'm also subscribing
>> the mailing lists of Open Legislation, OKFN-Brasil and a few others.
>>
>> Regarding the time of the meetings, I will be following the result of the
>> preparation meetings and try to follow up on that.
>>
>> @Rosamaria, good promotion on Yourtopia!!!
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Joao
>>

>> 2012/5/17 Jane Park <janepark at creativecommons.org>
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm Jane at Creative Commons -- with the obvious interest in helping
>>> to design challenges and educational materials around sharing data and
>>> open data - so open tools/licenses used for these purposes, including
>>> platforms where you can employ these tools, best practices, case
>>> studies, etc.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Jane

>>> --