[School-of-data] Help Defining Dataset Definition and Quality Parameters

Tony.Hirst Tony.Hirst at open.ac.uk
Tue Apr 30 09:46:59 UTC 2013

To add to Michael's list, a few detailed things I've found from experience that you may be able to generalise back up from...:

(2) downloadable data - as well as being downloadable, does the file open and contain what it claims to? (I appreciate this adds even more burden to the checking!) Sometimes files can be empty too (which could be checked by looking at file sizes).
(3) Machine readable format/doc formats - often documents aren't in the format they claim; for example .csv files that are actually Excel (.xls) files.

How frequently is data uploaded/how current/timely does it appear to be/are there publication schedules for data releases and are they stuck to?

Another thing to look for is the extent to which shared data is understandable (metadata requirements):
- is there a description somewhere of what column headings relate to, for example?
- are common vocabularies/standard terms/unique universal identifiers used to identify things (for example, in spending data, is there a company identifier as well as company name). USe of standard terms/identifiers makes it easier to cross-reference datasets
- where you have numerical columns/data is it clear what the units are? Are the numbers actually numbers or are they tainted with units (do columns of spend amounts include non numerical symboles (as in $121,343 rather than 121343 and the units specified in the column heading/metadata).

Where datasets are supposed to be released in a standard form, are they?

Another important aspect of data quality is the extent to which the data is actually "correct" and the extent to which is meets the needs of whatever reason there was for generating/using the data.

Another place to look would be reports on open data initiatives eg the UK National Audit Office report on UK open data http://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/10121833.pdf

tony