[School-of-data] Scraping using Google Refine (Workshop notes)

Jimena Martinez jimenamartine at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 15:02:59 UTC 2013

Hi Michael
I think it´s clear enought, but I have a question about the approach in the
form of communicate it. Have you thought of showing this through a
combination of explanations and videos? I mean, I know more or less the
kind of courses School of Data offers, and I think they are reallly great,
but ni general I miss an easier way to read or follow the contents. If it
could be easier (faster) to follow, it would encourage more people to
follow them, I think. It´s not the content itself, which I think it´s
clear, is the way to communicate contents and to interact with users.
A good point for that is translate the specific instructions about software
into some graphic explanations (not much text, but graphics when possible)
and videos where everything could be explained in less time and easily
understood by people. It´s not the same facing some pages of instructions
(more than 10 instructions could be challenging for some people) with a lot
of steps than follow some text with graphs and some minutes video  where
you can interact, stop, repeat, etc. As an extra document I think it´s
great having the instructions as in the document you sent, but I think it´s
more "pedagogical" the video+graphs approach. It is the way elearning seems
to be going now, and there are a lot of online education platforms doing
that. In the company I worked for we developed this approach and we had
very positive feedback from the students, and much more students, actually.
It´s only an idea, maybe SoD does not like this approach or it´s not a
priority, or maybe you are thinking on doing that later, but just in case...

Regards

Jimena