[School-of-data] [ddj] Helping Greenpeace UK to put things on maps?

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 15:47:41 UTC 2013

Damian
Have you got a link to the DECC source data (not the Google Spreadsheet,
but the actual website/document)? Have you thought about matching those
companies to OpenCorporates <http://opencorporates.com> – could start to
become useful now we're starting to add corporate hierarchies.

Chris Taggart

On 26 June 2013 14:00, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Damian Kahya from Greenpeace UK is preparing something on shale gas to
> coincide with release of figures from the British Geological Survey.
>
> He's looking at ways to present more rich information and context on a map
> (see below for further details).
>
> If anyone has ideas or wants to help him out with this, then please drop
> him a message via email or on Twitter (@damiankahya).
>
> As with last time, I'm sure he'd credit you if you're able to help out!
>
> All the best,
>
> Jonathan
>
> On 24 June 2013 18:30, Damian Kahya <damian.kahya at greenpeace.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear Jonathan,
>>
>> I'm just getting ready for the release of figures from the British
>> Geological Survey (BGS) on shale gas - i'm sure you are aware of the story.
>>
>> We have some data, attached, from DECC which we have mapped in the past
>> here<http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/newsdesk/energy/data/fracking-38-south-eastern-constituencies> (with links to the rest).
>>
>> I'm trying to turn it into something more usable for the general public
>> and have had a stab at it here using CartoDB.
>>

>> http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/newsdesk/energy/data/fracking-map-who-drilling-your-area
>>
>> It would be really great, though, to be able to add layers e.g.
>> constituencies in a way you can turn on and off and other functions e.g.
>> colour code by company. There are other things we could probably do looking
>> at water etc.
>>
>> Do let me know if you have any thoughts,
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Damian
>>
>> PS i owe you a blog
>>

>> Damian Kahya
>> Editor, Greenpeace Energydesk
>>

> --
>
> Jonathan Gray
>
> Director of Policy and Ideas  | *@jwyg <https://twitter.com/jwyg>*
>
> The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>
> *
>
> Empowering through Open Knowledge
>
> okfn.org  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |
> Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>  |  Newsletter<http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>
> *

OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture