[School-of-data] Election Data Community Hangout

Michael Bauer michael.bauer at okfn.org
Thu May 2 12:03:19 UTC 2013

Today is election day for several UK local councils. Elections are usually
reported by using tons of statistics, graphs and metrics. We’ll look into
Election data in a Community hangout tomorrow May 3rd 2013 at 2pm-3pm BST.

We’ll talk about how to obtain data, what you can do with it, ways to
visualize it and try to think outside the box.

If you want to participate in this community hangout: sign up here:
https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/forms/d/1aOIh9vEb4kEpAEnV106EPuRNwbK3vRLFQlZ9KP4juew/viewform

We'll have a google hangout so space is limited to 9 participants (+1
facilitator) - If you're happy to facilitate please note in the form and
we'll contact you (so we can have more than one call).

Interesting reading along the way:

Getting ward boundries:
http://blog.ouseful.info/2013/05/02/shapefiles-for-electoral-wards-covered-by-a-particular-geography/
Local Election Factsheet:
http://fullfact.org/articles/local_elections_factsheet_may_2013-28903
A quick guide to mapping local elections:
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/05/02/proving-the-data-a-quick-guide-to-mapping-local-elections/
Gregor Aisch German local election visualization:
http://nds2013.vis4.net/electionmaps/

See you there!

Michael

--
Data Wrangler with the Open Knowledge Foundation (OKFN.org)
GPG/PGP key: http://tentacleriot.eu/mihi.asc