[School-of-data] Event GovHack – Beautiful Data

Patrick Atwater patrickatwater at gmail.com
Thu May 9 06:37:42 UTC 2013

In the spirt of passing along contests, please see here for a $5000 essay
contest our startup just launched. In particular, folks here might be
interested in the budgets question <http://staghuntenterprises.com/budgets/>,
which explores the potential of flowing financial data:
*
*
*"How might machine readable financial data that’s easily interoperable
across municipal jurisdictions transform how we manage public resources?  *Your
task is to fully imagine what machine readable data that’s easily
interoperable between state and local government might mean.  How might
that impact how a governor unveils a revised budget?  How might that change
how a City Council might deliberate in open session on an issue like
Glendale’s recent water rate increase?  How might that transform how we
manage a major capital project like the 710 tunnel expansion in Los Angeles?

*Bonus Points* for thinking through what sort of machine learning questions
would be interesting to tackle with this scale of data availability."

Patrick Atwater
A California Dreamer <http://www.patrickatwater.com/>

*The Daily Stag Hunt <http://www.dailystaghunt.com/>*

E: patrickatwater at gmail.com