[School-of-data] Course editing on the new School of Data platform

Daniela Mattern daniela.mattern at it3s.org
Fri Apr 25 13:33:09 UTC 2014

I am able to edit mark down.

So, if you need any help for converting content to mark down, let me know.

@Michael: is there any preview of the new platform available? Is there a
backlog with the features, etc. you are going to implement?

Thanks

Daniela

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Tony.Hirst <tony.hirst at open.ac.uk> wrote:

> Michael
>
> In terms of folk writing materials, if we are going with markdown, where
> are people going to write the markdown (Are there any markdown editors
> available?)
>
> The Ipython notebook doesn’t need to have anything to do with python code
> - we could just treat it as a browser based environment for writing
> markdown in a single cell. I guess there is a UI issue - e.g. Something
> like http://dillinger.io/ gives you a view of the markdown and the WYSIWYG
> html output, whereas in a notebook you have to click the HTML output to
> toggle into the md editor mode, which means you can’t easily concurrently
> edit and preview a document, which may be a major stumbling block.
>
> I’m not sure if anyone has done an editor toolbar for ipynb that lets you
> highlight md text and click a button to convert to italics, bold etc.
>
> I’m not sure but I think we may be talking at slightly cross purposes - I
> think you are talking more about state of the document just before it gets
> rendered to HTML (md) whereas I am considering the authoring environment;
> the context for the discussion is about figuring out a new workflow, which
> is to do with:
> - getting the backend content representation (e.g. md) into HTML in a
> required style
> - storing and managing the backend content (where does the md go and how
> does it get put there)
> - creating the content (and representing it in md)
>
> As an author, I would like to have:
>
> - an editor where I can write stuff; a browser works for me but ideally
> the editor should be available when I am offline as well as online (which
> means in ipynb case I would have to run a local ipynb service, which is an
> unnecessary overhead for many people:-( Wordpress at least let me edit
> content offline in an open wordpress browser tab.
> - a button that I can click to save as a draft to somewhere where an
> editor can review the doc
> - a button to click that will preview of how the final content will look
> - a button to click to publish
>
> If we don’t have that route, I need a clear workflow, at least from the
> point of putting content in an agreed format (e.g. md) into an agreed
> location (e.g. a github repo, or a dropbox/google drive folder) at which
> point I can let the downstream processes that the publishing system has in
> place take over.
>
> I may or may not be interested in knowing where the content is stored,
> though I may want to be able to push it to a particular bit of the site.
>
> Noce to have: some way of managing/storing/referring to local assets
> (images, code fragments etc)
>
> The system also needs to be able to cope with (and if necessary identify)
> metadata - post title, tags/categories, date published, status (in
> prep/draft/published)
>
> On the content side, I also need an easy way to embed quotes, images,
> [...]

Daniela Mattern
Coordenadora Geral
IT3S - Instituto de Fomento à Tecnologia do Terceiro Setor
Fone: 0055-11-36285787
Celular: 0055-11-987 356 563

Siga nosso Twitter <https://twitter.com/#%21/it3s> | Acompanhe nosso
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/IT3S.org>