[School-of-data] BIG data... What is BIG?

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Wed Jul 9 15:24:13 UTC 2014

I guess a good definition of big data is that it’s a term used to sell tech to folks who may not otherwise need it. In that case, the limit is whatever the tool you’re selling can process.

It’s also a great way for columnists to discuss the decline of western civilisation symbolised by Mark Zuckerberg. In that case, it’s everything that gets collected by Americans.

Best,

- Friedrich

p.s. I honestly don’t think there’s a good definition. “Not reasonably processable on one machine” could be a guideline, but that can be a good dozen terabytes these days?