[School-of-data] New Government Spending Transparency in the US - Python Development Help Needed

Marc Joffe joffemd at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 21 02:34:12 UTC 2015

University of California Berkeley just published my research on the costs
that US local governments incur when they borrow money on the municipal bond
market.

Please see the paper at
http://diversity.berkeley.edu/new-research-brief-doubly-bound-cost-issuing-m
unicipal-bonds and the supporting data set at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i6rUXuZENWbcpxBNpyl4FJDhbRqEM7YIGfk1
zcaN0xk/edit?usp=sharing.

Part of this research required gathering data found from several hundred
PDFs containing municipal bond data. I am hoping to extend the data set to a
much larger number of bonds and would like to better automate the PDF
extraction process. Any useful code that is developed would be placed in
open source.

If you are a Python developer interested in working on a small civic hacking
project (with some funding available), please contact me at
marc at publicsectorcredit.org <mailto:marc at publicsectorcredit.org> .