[science-at] Fwd: [open-science] A Public List of Notable, Senior Open Scientists

cheeseman info4cheesy at gmx.at
Tue Apr 30 11:44:42 UTC 2013

Maybe you or a friend?

- -------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: [open-science] A Public List of Notable, Senior Open Scientists
Datum: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 12:04:45 +0100
Von: Ross Mounce <ross.mounce at okfn.org>
An: open-science <open-science at lists.okfn.org>
Kopie (CC): Jenny Molloy <jenny.molloy at okfn.org>

Hey open-science list,

We're in the process of compiling a list of notable, 'senior' open
scientists to publish on a dedicated page on http://science.okfn.org/
We think this is an important move to publicly demonstrate that open
approaches & advocacy, in STEM research are used by the very best.

Who would you nominate as an excellent example of an established open
scientist?

*Criteria & Guidance:* We're looking for Principal Investigators and above
here.
Whilst there are many excellent open grad students and postdocs out there,
we're just looking for a list of very *established* open scientists on
this
occasion.

Our list in progress is linked below (it's only just begun, we're probably
missing many obvious names):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtbO6mZEvieCdDlNd0p3RXRzQVhTcjg4Q19hXzFhX3c&usp=sharing

If you have any suggestions for other excellent, established open
scientists please add them directly to the above spreadsheet with
supporting details of how/why they represent open science and links. Also,
better descriptions of why they're open are very welcome!

Elsewise, feel free to discuss nominations further on-list here.

Some guide examples:

John Sulston - Strong advocate and supporter of open data in science.
Nobel
Prize Winner
Harold E. Varmus - Champion of Open Access and PMC. Nobel Prize Winner
Michael Ashburner - reknowned open science advocate & Benjamin Franklin
Award Winner
Michael Eisen -  reknowned open science advocate & Benjamin Franklin Award
Winner

Best,

Ross

- --