[science-at] SMWCon Fall 2014 in Vienna: Semantic MediaWiki conference: call for participation

Stefan Kasberger mail at stefankasberger.at
Wed Jul 2 12:41:49 UTC 2014

FYI

================================

Dear users, developers and all people interested in semantic wikis, wikis and open knowledge, especially in Semantic MediaWiki!

We are happy to announce SMWCon Fall 2014 - the 10th Semantic MediaWiki Conference:

* Dates: October 1st to October 3rd 2014 (Wednesday to Friday)
* Create Camp / Hackday on Saturday, October 4th
* Location:  Municipal and Provincial Archives of Vienna, Gasometer D, Guglgasse 14, 1110 Vienna, Austria
* Conference wikipage: https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMWCon_Fall_2014
* Participants: Everybody interested in semantic wikis, wikis and open knowledge, especially in Semantic MediaWiki, e.g., users, developers, consultants, business or government representatives, researchers.
* Registration is now open at: http://de.amiando.com/SMWCon2014.html
(if you register, please don't book hotels yet, there will be recommendations next week on the connference webpage)
* The hashtag on Semantic MediaWiki on Twitter Twitter is #SMWCon.

SMWCon Fall 2014 will be organized by KDZ - Centre for Public Administration Research [1], supported by the Open Semantic Data Association [2] and the Municipal and Provincial Archives of Vienna [3] in cooperation with Wikimedia Austria [4] and Open Knowledge Foundation Austria [5].
Following the success of recent SMWCons, we will have one tutorial day and two conference days. As a novelty, the SMWCon in Vienna will have a Create Camp / Hackathon on Saturday at the KDZ premises.

Thank you to our sponsors https://gesinn.it/ (gold) and https://energypedia.info (silver)!
Please contact us if you are interested in sponsoring the conference.

Contributing to the conference: If you want to present your work in the conference please go to the conference wikipage and add your talk there. To create an attractive program for the conference, we will later ask you to give further information about your proposals.

==Among others, we encourage contributions on the following topics==

===Applications of semantic wikis===
* Business Applications - what technology did you use, what were the boundary conditions and how did you solve your challenges?
* Science Applications - what are potential or proven uses for SMW? How did SMW improve or change the way you work?
* What is left and right of SMW?
* Lessons learned (best/worst practices) from using semantic wikis or their extensions
* Semantic wikis in e-science, e-learning, e-health, e-government
* Semantic wikis and Open Data
* Semantic MediaWiki, Wikipedia, Wikidata, DBpedia

===Development of semantic wikis===
* Development roadmap - what are the plans for SMW, what is in the pipeline?
* Recent developments - what are you developing in the moment? Where are the challenges?
* Semantic wikis as knowledge base backends / data integration platforms
* Comparisons of semantic wiki concepts and technologies
* Community building, feature wishlists, roadmapping of Semantic MediaWiki
* Improving user experience in a semantic wiki
* Speeding up semantic wikis
* Integrations and interoperability of semantic wikis with other applications and mashups
* Access control and security aspects in semantic wikis
* Multilingual semantic wikis

== Tutorials ==
We are also looking for people giving tutorials on the first day (tutorial day).

If you have questions you can contact me (Bernhard Krabina, General and Local Chair), or Franz Borrmann (Program Chair) per e-mail (Cc).

Hope to see you in Vienna!

Best regards,
Bernhard Krabina

[1] http://www.kdz.or.at
[2] https://opensemanticdata.org/
[3] https://www.wien.gv.at/english/history/archives/index.html
[4] https://www.wikimedia.at/
[5] http://www.okfn.at

--
Mag. Bernhard Krabina
KDZ - Zentrum für Verwaltungsforschung

- Offener Haushalt - Transparente Gemeindefinanzen:
  http://www.offenerhaushalt.at

- Plattform Verwaltungskooperation:
  http://www.verwaltungskooperation.at

- Open Government Vorgehensmodell