[CKAN-Security] Client Side XSS

Cody B codywboyko at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 20:47:04 UTC 2019

Afternoon,

A recent Penetration Test has uncovered a few vulnerabilities. I'll try to
flag applicable ones to CKAN core, first up is client side XSS.

This seems to be coming from bootstrap 3 and Jquery 3.  Both are
susceptible to a few vulnerabilities including cross-site scripting.

So in general, they should be upgraded but I know bootstrap upgrade would
take quite a bit of time and we just got to 3.

A more specific example are any autocomplete drop down fields. All seem to
execute JS quite easily.  e.g. (resource format field try entering
<script>alert(document.cookie)</script>). the autocomplete.js file seems to
rely on jquery, and I'm assuming at this point that is where the issue
resides.

Will update as I have more to share.

Thanks,
Cody