[the-datatank] Authentication feature

Jan Vansteenlandt vansteenlandt.jan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 08:52:54 UTC 2012

Hi list,

Jan here with a question towards the datatank stakeholders, Dries Droesbeke
from Digipolis Antwerp is working on a datatank installation for an antwerp
hackaton. He'd also like to authenticate users, currently there's no such
feature present in the develop branch ( or master branch for that matter ).
There is however a branch that attempts to perform user management and
authentication, but I have a feeling the authentication needs to be fully
integrated instead of partially datatank and partially script-wise ( which
is now the case in the access list branch ).

My question is how do you see this user-wise.

My suggestion: TDTAdmin/Users -> The resource will be handled by a new
controller and foresees the following:

                   GET: returns all users
                   HEAD: same as get, but only the headers
                   PUT/POST: (new_)user as a parameter and adds the user to
the back-end.

My question for Dries is if you expect an api_key in return, after the user
addition, or will you be passing a password as well through the PUT
request? Also, you asked for a feature to add tokens/secrets for apps. Do
you mean OAuth by this? If so, we should take a look at the OAuth API made
by iRail.

Best regards,

Jan