[the-datatank] Authentication feature

Jan Vansteenlandt vansteenlandt.jan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 10:39:15 UTC 2012

Hej guys,

Sorry for the late reply, but here's what I propose.

There are 2 possible ways:

1) If the account/token/key is created in the drupal back-end, then the
only thing necessary in order to make The DataTank use this information is
overwriting the* is_authenticated* function in the RController.

2) If you really want The DataTank to hold its stand alone user management
tool, then alot of work will be necessary in order to get this done. This
will be a separate branch which holds new Admin resources that create
tokens/users and hold code that enable managing that information. After
that the *is_authenticated* function will also have to be overwritten.

Also bare in mind that somewhere in december ( or earlier ) we're going to
design the new version of the datatank which takes into account all of the
architectural mishaps from the previous version as well as scalability
problems. In this new version there will be a place for modular
authentication ( so you don't have to overwrite a function with loose code
).

@Dries: I'd go for solution one, I don't have that much time to work on
number 2), as I'm not even sure if will have its place in the roadmap.

Best regards,

Jan