[wsfii-discuss] Interesting URL

Charles "core" Stevenson corezion at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 13:47:39 UTC 2005

Richard,

On 12/16/05, Richard Kay <rich at copsewood.net> wrote:
> That said, we need to treat claims of large breakthroughs
> in carrying capacity prior to publication of peer-reviewable
> details with some caution. There is a danger that someone
> will make such a claim with a view to artificially raising
> the stock of a small company, and will succeed in bribing
> or duping, or constructing a "respectable" academic reviewer
> or other person with the ability supposedly to confirm the
> technical advantages claimed. Follow the money and buyer beware of
> shares in hyped technology stocks ! Where the investors in
> a claimed new technique are few, private and sufficiently within
> the knowledge loop to be able to evaluate the risk and patents are
> pending, breakthroughs which still represent trade
> secrets can be ethically developed for the benefit of
> all when the relevant patents are published and open review becomes
> possible.

Thanks for your insights.  I've done more reading tonight and perhaps
Karel is right.  Maybe this is all smoke and mirrors and what we're
actually seeing is a very high profile fraud initiative designed to
sell snake oil.  On the other hand as you've suggested it is possible
that this will become a disruptive enabling technology which I find
very exciting.  Only time will tell. :-)

I have my fingers crossed that it's not a great sham.

peace,
Charlie