[wsfii-discuss] worries and list membership

rufus.pollock at okfn.org rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Mar 21 19:13:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 11:35:12AM +0000, Saul Albert wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm afraid I'm a bit worried about sending out the invite - because I've only
> got feedback from Jeurgen here. What do others on this list think? There are
> only a few of us on this list:
>
>     * arunlists at gmail.com
>     * consumercitizen at informal.org.uk
>     * j.neumann at xorxe.net
>     * jo at frot.org
>     * rufus.pollock at okfn.org
>     * saul at twenteenthcentury.com
>     * sebastian at less.dk
>     * shekhar at crit.org.in
>     * t at wire.less.dk
>
> Perhaps it would be good to review the members of this list (only 6 or so of us
> joined) and see if others can be pulled into discussions before sending it out
> - or perhaps we should just start sending this out personally... If it looks ok
> to you all..

Sorry to not get back on this. I had read the invite and thought it was
great. As you say it would be good to get more people on the list but that
might come with the announcement. I also think it is important to start
announcing dates etc as soon as possible.

To that end though I have got some comments that I interleave below many
of these are not 'crucial' and for the sake of getting something out
could wait until the next draft. However there is /one/ thing that seems
essential to do before dissemination and that is get up the registration
page (even if this is just to register interest).

I think this event will be really interesting and provide a lot of
momentum for the India event next year so it would be great to firm up
plans and start getting into the details as soon as possible.

Regards,

Rufus

ps: see comments below

>             -------------------------------------------------------
>                        For Distribution Far and Wide:
>             -------------------------------------------------------
>
>                             WSFII PREPCON '05
>                                     ~
>           ~ World Summit on Free Information Infrastructures ~
>
> Every year for the last four years, Free Networkers from around the world have
> organised summits, the last one being the Freifunk.net Summer Convention 2004
> in Djursland, Denmark where Free Networkers, free infrastructure pragmatists
> and community network builders from 32 countries got together, shared ideas,
> made plans and forged alliances.
>
> This year, we are widening the scope through an association with the Open
> Knowledge Foundation (okfn.net) - we want to invite people from all areas of

okfn.net -> okfn.org

> free infrastructure development to participate in a world summit, trying to
> cross the streams Free Hardware, Free Software, Open Geodata, LETS trading
> systems, Open Licensing, Community TV/Radio, Public Knowledge Infrastructures,
> and other areas of research and activity that we haven't thought of yet.
>
>                                 ~ why ~
>
> Because Free Infrastructure developers don't really have to ask this question.
> We have this in common - that FIIs come from pragmatic application and problem
> solving rather than being led by policy or law. By meeting and joining forces,
> we can do what we do more effectively.

great.

>                              ~ structure ~
>
> The structure is a 2 day public conference in a central accessible location

think this would better read as: .... in a central location in London ..

> during which the various FII groups can present their activities and the
> specifics of their FII domain to other groups and the public. Prior to that
> weekend event (1st/2nd October for the London WSFII) there will be a week
> during which a venue will be available to groups if they wish to hold
> preparatory meetings, workshops, talks and social gatherings.
>
>                               ~ prepcon ~
>
> This might not be a 'world' summit with as many international delegations as we
> had in Denmark last year. Instead, this is a call to FII groups to organise
> summits on their continents around the same time, to feed into a more ambitious
> WSFII scheduled for summer 2006 in India.

Is this section necessary. Makes it sound a little like a second best
which I don't think it required. Then the bit on other groups organizing
elsewhere if they can't make it could be merged into How to get
Involved.

This also relates to my preference to call it WSFII 2005
rather than prepcon. Again we could state elsewhere that this will
conference will be looking forward to and preparing for India 2006 but
to bill as /simply/ a preparatory conference perhaps undermines it purpose a
little.

>                         ~ How to get involved ~
>
> If you are involved in research and activity in one of the knowledge domains
> we've already listed as FIIs, or you work on one we've missed out, please get
> in touch and help by proposing someone, or some group to come and represent
> that FII.
>
> The first confirmed WSFII venue is London - which will be a Western European

should be: .... the Western European hub .... (since only one hub)

> hub for this year's WSFII prepcon If you would like to set up a WSFII prepcon

again suggest replacement of prepcon: .... hub for WSFII 2005. If you

> in your locality, please get in touch via the mailing list:
> subdomain.
>
> We are developing a programme on our wiki and taking registrations for
> participation in the london WSFII on the website: http://wsfii.org, so we look

As already mentioned need to sort out a registration form asap.