[wsfii-discuss] worries and list membership

Arun Mehta arunlists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 08:02:51 UTC 2005

I am cc'ing Vickram Crishna,  who needs to be part of this discussion.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:21:24 +0100, Tomas Krag <t at wire.less.dk> wrote:
> your assumption that we probably won't get
> same kind of international participation for a w4d track is probably
> pretty accurate as well.

My suggestion would be, to do a  live online event,  along the lines
of Global Learn Day, please see http://bfranklin.edu/gld/

"Each October we host an annual 24-hour, non-stop round the world
"voyage" which showcases highly innovative activities in education and
internet technology from 24 time zones. In order to build an audience
in the millions we involve community radio stations and local
television. Rule One is to make it easily accessible, underpinning the
whole show with heavy use of POTS, Plain Old Telephone Systems. It's a
worldwide celebration of learning that opens in the South Pacific and
closes in Hawaii; in between are education's all-stars on a stage as
big as the planet.
"

We could do the same with community wireless networking: we already
have friends in different parts of the world, who may not be able to
come to London. Why don't they organise a panel discussion, radio talk
show, whatever, which is carried live to all of us, wherever we are?
For GLD, we use a chat room that allows text and audio chat, and the
pushing of web pages. It is as if you are watching a powerpoint
presentation, the difference being, that if you want to, you can be
typing questions and comments in the text chat alongside. Works great,
 this is the 9th year we will be doing this. I have handled the South
Asia segment since the beginning, in fact, last year, community
wireless was the focus of my segment,
http://www.india-gii.org/wiki/index.php/Global_Learn_Day_presentation

Just a thought...  24 hours might sound strenuous, but who says you
have to attend all of it? And who says it must be 24 hours?  The idea
is to hold events at convenient times for the international
participants in their own regions.

> And I actually think calling it a prepcon is interesting, and probably
> worthwhile. It shows our continuous commitment to bringing the
> discussion to the world outside Western Europe and the US, and it also
> commits us to that plan of action. Of course I'm coloured by the fact
> that that is what I consider our most important role at the moment...

Let me strengthen that. Can we not say, that this is our attempt at
active solidarity: we see a huge potential in w4d, and will, at this
conference, work on a strategy for promoting rapid growth in
developing countries, using India as an example? We could take this
idea further...

I am also very excited at the role wireless networks could play in the
lives of the disabled. Consider spastic students in a normal
classroom: many have motor difficulties, and  problems with vision, in
varying degrees. Their wheel chairs could easily be equipped with a
WiFi-enabled notebook, which automatically connect with each other in
a classroom, and with the teacher using a PC with a beamer. They could
have the contents of the presentation on their own laptops, which they
could magnify or otherwise process in whatever manner suits them best.
They could record the entire presentation, and watch it again later
(could be helpful for those who are slow learners) Once you start
using this,  you could easily have students participating from remote
locations, e.g. the hospital.

We are also examining how special call centers could be set up for the
disabled. A blind person might hold up a camera phone to take a
snapshot of the street signs, and a wheelchair bound deaf person
sitting far away could look at the picture, and tell her where she is,
using voice or text. If you used a WiFi device on a community network
for this, call centers could be set up locally: think how much money
the government would be willing to invest, to give a decent job to
people with extreme disabilities. This would also facilitate
networking within the community at a human level. As we discovered at
Djursland, people mostly use community WiFi networks to connect to the
Internet. Perhaps we need to look at how wireless networks might
foster community activity.

Would there be a possibility of reaching out to the disabled
community, and perhaps running a session, on wireless networking and
disability? This could form part of the w4d stream, or perhaps a
separate one on applications of community wireless (community radio/TV
might be accomodated in that as well)

Arun