[wsfii-discuss] OpenSpectrum UK event

Julian Priest consumercitizen at infomral.org.uk
Sun May 22 16:08:03 UTC 2005

Hi all,

for those of you in London next week we are putting on the inaugural
event of OpenSpectrumUK looking at the future of spectrum regulation
in the UK. Scuse the spam - but we're down as a track on wsfii in
October so hopefully its of interest to some of you..

chrs

~/julian

+ Wireless Utopias 05: An Open Future for Spectrum? +
+ May 26th, 2005 7-9pm +
+ at the Science Museum's Dana Centre +
+ 165 Queensgate, London SW7, South Kensington Tube +

====

NB: The event is free but you need to register by mailing your request
to bookings at cybersalon.org . Registration is on a first come first
served basis.  Places are strictly limited.

Venue details:  http://cybersalon.org
More info: http://openspectrum.org.uk

====

Open Spectrum UK and Cybersalon host a unique debate on the future of
wireless communications and the strategic prospects for utilising the
radio spectrum.

The context for the event is the UK communications regulator Ofcom's
Spectrum Framework Review, which is exploring wide ranging changes to
the way radio spectrum is regulated in the UK.

We bring together a roundtable of international and UK experts and
regulators to explore the big issues of technology, regulation and
society. Audience Q & A will explore wireless utopias from the Open
Market to Open Spectrum.

+ Panel:

Michael Marcus (former FCC, USA) .. worked for the US regulator the
FCC, helping to create the unlicensed bands we use for WiFi, and was
involved in the recent FCC Spectrum Policy Task Force.

Dewayne Hendricks (Dandin Group, USA) .. wireless activist and policy
commentator.

Dr. Onno Purbo (Rebelnet Indonesia) ... independent researcher and
instigator of a DIY wireless movement in Indonesia that is responsible
for getting literally millions of Indonesians online.

Peter Bury (Ofcom, UK) .. Ofcom's Director of Strategic Resources,
with responsibility for licensing radio frequencies for mobile
communications, fixed wireless broadband, sound broadcasting and
television.

William Webb (Ofcom, UK) .. Head of R&D at Ofcom.

Gordon Adgey(Broadband 4 Devon, UK) .. wireless pioneer of
Buckfastleigh Broadband, now involved in Broadband4Devon.

Peter Cochrane (Concept Labs, UK) .. former CTO of BT, technology
visionary and a public critic of the 3G autions.

+ Provocateur:

John Wilson (OpenSpectrumUK) ... broadband and communications policy
advocate, member of the Wales Broadband Stakeholder Group.

====

OpenSpectrumUK was formed in 2005 to co-ordinate a response to Ofcom's
Spectrum Framework Review. Open Spectrum UK argues for a balance of
the commercial and the public interest in access to and use of the
radio spectrum. Wireless Utopias 05 is in collaboration with Open
Spectrum International, is supported by the Open Society Institute and
is part of the Wireless London season.

OpenSpectrumUK is convened by John Wilson and Julian Priest
http://openspectrum.org.uk

====

----- End forwarded message -----