[wsfii-discuss] open education

Arun Mehta arunlists at softhome.net
Wed Nov 2 08:33:56 UTC 2005

Ultimately, all problems lead us back to the system of education. If
open systems of all kinds are to take hold, students must not just be
exposed to them in education, but imbibe the spirit.

I am particularly thinking about software writing, where the assembly
line approach of conventional education does not work, and qualified
teachers are hard to find, since industry pays much better. Does there
exist, or can we build, a method of training people in software writing,
in which the students are helped to become useful members of teams on
sites such as sourceforge? They could start small, doing beta testing
and improving documentation for the user, the code, etc. Gradually, they
would start writing small bits with help, and get better at doing it.
Writing FLOSS would form the core of the teaching methodology.

Arun