[wsfii-discuss] open education

Karel Kulhavy clock at twibright.com
Wed Nov 2 11:19:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 10:52:17AM +0000, Paula wrote:
> Arun - I'm not aware of anything specifically of this kind, but think it
> an excellent idea. I know of some relatively unstructured efforts to
> support women getting involved in FLOSS, but nothing which would
> faciliate people through the process in a more structured way. It would
> be pretty easy to do in terms of infrastructure, might be difficult to
> assemble a bunch of volunteers to facilitate it tho.
>
> Might also be a good opportunity to address the serious gender-imbalance
> in FLOSS development? A lot of women find the current "acolyte system"
> difficult and intimidating to access.  It would also make training

I don't think there is any system that differentiates between women and
men. Subscribe to linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org and tell them you want
to help with Linux kernel. They will immediately assign you some janitor
job and won't care if you are woman or man.

And you are going to learn a lot about operating systems already just
from the janitor work.

> available to anyone with access to the internet rather than only people
> with resources to meet steep academic fees.

Where did you get this with the steep academic fees? Can you point to
your source?

CL<