[wsfii-discuss] hacking the built city

Dana Spiegel dana at nycwireless.net
Thu Nov 3 03:57:57 UTC 2005

Much of what Michael talks about has also been seen with NYCwireless,
especially Spectropolis (www.spectropolis.info). Hacking the city was
a big component to a number of the art projects we hosted.

And we involved all aspects of wireless technology: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth,
Radio, Audio, Cell, and GPS.

One thing of note is that all of the above lend themselves to being
"deeply hacked" except for the Cell networks. All you can do on the
cell networks is what the providers allow you to do, which is send
SMS or make voice calls. All of the other wireless technologies are
incredibly malleable, which gave artists freedom to be creative and
dream up concepts and works that were amazingly innovative and
enlightening.

As for the grassroots community building, we have that too,
especially via projects like NeighborNode, which enables entire city
blocks in NYC to get to know one another (we have examples!), and
reconnect and form the human relationships that used to form in
smaller town centers.

Dana Spiegel
Executive Director
NYCwireless