[wsfii-discuss] the million dollar question -re: wifi + local content + alternative currencies

Michael Lenczner mlenczner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 19:25:38 UTC 2005

"As we dig a bit deeper into how particular locative media projects
negotiate local and global spaces, we see an increasing
"technologisation" and commodification of urban and public spaces.
Graham points out to how "places [are] becoming increasingly
constructed through the... surveillance, and sorting, of cities".  And
these "software-sorted cities" point to a related and
politically-charged question posed succinctly by Borden : "How can
differential space be sought in the land and epock of the commodified,
the abstract, the homogenized, the reductive, and the powerful?".  In
other words, what relations of difference -- of production and
consuption, of public and private -- are possible in the worlds shaped
through pervasive computing and locative media?"

from a paper by anne galloway

http://www.purselipsquarejaw.org/2005/10/what-locative-media-can-learn-from.php