[wsfii-discuss] Fwd: [Fsf-press] Software Freedom Day

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Wed Oct 5 00:10:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 03:29:43PM +0200, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 10:29:10PM +0200, Nagarjuna G. wrote:
> >
> > I just thought it would be of interest to wsfii.
> >
> > FSF India is celebrating October 2nd, the birth date of mahatma
> > gandhi, as a Software Freedom Day.  It is an accident that we are also
>
> Did Gandhi write some free software as well?

No he didn't.  He practiced a method of protesting by civil
disobedience to fight the british.  A part of the freedom movement was
how to make salt on owr own, without depending on the british, and how
to make cloth on owr own without depending on the imported mill cloth.
These are good illustrations of how technology could enable people
develop a culture.  So we adopted that spirit and gave the call: let
us weave our own code.

Nagarjuna